Precision Agriculture for the Improvement of Wine Production in Macaronesia
INTERREG-MAC 2014-2020 Cooperation Program.
On September 5, 2019, the General Director of Agriculture, Mr. José Basilio Pérez Rodríguez, signed the Cooperation Agreement between participants of the APOGEO Project.
The General Objectives of the project are to optimize crop production, both quantitatively and qualitatively, based on the application of precision agriculture techniques, as well as a clear commitment to sustainable production, since it facilitates the optimization of resources, both natural and humans, improving the competitiveness of Macaronesian viticultural companies through the transfer of advanced technology and services based on “precision agriculture” so that automatic and permanent monitoring of the state of vineyards and other crops is facilitated.
The specific objectives are as follows:
- Development and technological transfer of a low-cost commercial system, based on drones, advanced spectral sensors and mobile applications for real-time monitoring of the health status of the Macaronesian vineyards, generating relevant information for the sector.
- Development of a protocol and analysis service of the physical-chemical characteristics of the vineyards, their soils, water and nutrients, using advanced spectrometric techniques.
- Creation of a training plan based on courses and seminars aimed at current and future people in the sector, to manage and introduce new technologies in the cultivation process and improve competitiveness.
Project Duration: 2019-2022
Partners and Coordination: APOGEO is coordinated by the University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. The partners are the following:
- University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria,
- Superior Council of Scientific Investigations
- General Department of Agriculture. Agricultural Training Service. Through the three Schools of Agricultural Training. Arucas in Gran Canaria, Los Llanos de Aridane in La Palma, and Tacoronte in Tenerife.
- University of Madeira.
- Island Council of Gran Canaria.
- Island Council of La Palma.
- Regional Azores Comissao Vitivinicola. CVR
- Association of vinicultures and winemakers of the Canary Islands (AVIBO)
- Bentayga wineries.
- Llanovid S.C.L.
- Winereis “El Grifo”
- Wineries Las Tirajanas.
Check our website HERE.