Belgians and genetics ‘The Belgian Blue’. Apr 27th 2019
Month of a Member State
Belgians have always had something with genetics.
Today we would like to introduce you to an extremely beef-bred cattle breed: the Belgian Blue Breed. Bulls of this breed weigh around 650 kg after 18 to 19 months!
The Belgian Blue Breed has a number of benefits that can count:
- The feed conversion rate (kg or feed by kg growth) is systematically better with the Belgian Blue. This cattle consumes less and transforms more efficiently
- Very high daily growth (for connoisseurs: between 7 and 13 months 1.6 kg per day)
- A slaughter yield of at least 70% which is extremely high
- Extremely lean meat with a dense texture
- Of all beef breeds this breed has the least fat (2 to 3 times less fat than another breed)
- The Belgian Blue has the most unsaturated fatty acids of all cattle breeds
- The white-blue of Belgium has the lowest ecological footprint of all cattle breeds
- The meat is very tender because of the finer fibers and lower percentage of tough connective tissue. Belgian Blue meats require about 1/3 less cooking time than standard beef.
Today the Belgian Blue is used worldwide to improve local bovins in meat production.